Thursday, June 15, 2017

Ejecting harddrive should not be this hard...

Ever got annoyed with the message that your external harddrive can't be ejected since something is using it?

Well... I ran into it many many time... and now that I am on my fav mac I decided to find out what was going on vs just force ejecting it.

So... I ran

sudo lsof | grep /Volumes/Ultimate/

where Ultimate is my external harddrive name...

it showed me bunch of stuff to my surprise!

back up.... lsof is a command to show you a list of open files on the disk

# lsof

COMMAND  PID       USER   FD      TYPE     DEVICE  SIZE/OFF       NODE NAME
init       1       root  cwd       DIR        8,1      4096          2 /
Now... I saw bunch of Spotlight commands... so my mac decided to index my ext harddrive... To fix that I selected System Preferences -> Spotlight and added ext harddrive to Privacy pane.

Next I had bunch of BDLDaemon commands... so it appears that it was my BitDefender trying to protect me and scanning my ex harddrive... well... i chose to let it finish just to make sure i did not have any virus, etc on my drive...

The end





No comments:

Post a Comment