Monday, April 24, 2017

How to fix unrecognizable external harddrive on MacOs

So I was copying over some files onto my external harddrive when my external usb hub lost power and the hardrive was not properly unmounted... and... it become corrupted to the point where I could not see it as I would plug it into my mac...

I tried everything under the sun, plug it into Windows machine and I ran CHKDSK /f on the drive in hopes to repair it. But it did not make any difference.

I tried Disk Utility in Mac, start, restart, and everything stackoverflow threw at me...

Finally, I was able to fix it.... That's what I did

I opened Activity Monitor and noticed that 'fsck_hfs' starting up every time I connected the problematic external harddrive to my Mac.

So, I tried to Force Quit 'fsck_hfs' (or fsck_exfat)and VOILA!

A dialogue box popped up and said that my harddrive cannot be repaired but that I can move and copy files from it but not save to it.

PHEW!!

At least I could access the files and save them. Later I reformatted the drive that fixed it and copied the files back.

No comments:

Post a Comment